Poldark Series 5, episode 5 aired last night (11th August 2019) on the BBC in the UK. This fast-moving episode centred on events in both London and Cornwall. Many stunning and memorable Cornish destinations were featured this week.
This blog post explains where the Cornwall filming locations can be found. If you are planning a trip to Cornwall soon then this will help you find these locations, and don’t worry if you have not seen this episode yet as there are no spoilers.
Here we go and with links to download our free maps showing the different locations…
- The dramatic cliffs of Gwennap Head feature in the opening shot of the episode. The aerial footage certainly shows this truly spectacular Cornish coastline in all its splendour. To find the coast path and the best places to park in this area please click here
Gwennap Head, used for the opening aerial footage in this episode
- Straight after the the opening coastline footage the outside view of Nampara Cottage hits our screens. The home of Ross, Demelza and their children features many times in Episode 5. Note the interior shots at Nampara were filmed at the Bottleyard Studio in Bristol. For more information about Bodmin Moor and this beautiful Cornish location near the building used as Nampara click here
- Demelza and the children stand on the clifftop waving goodbye to Ross and the Depards departing for London in the stagecoach. These shots were filmed at the iconic and spectacular location of Bedruthan Steps. Viewers are certainly treated to a wonderful view of this Cornish coastline with the waves of the Atlantic Ocean rolling in to the magnificent stacks in the sea. Please click here to see a map showing this location.
The stream and stepping stones at Penberth Cove
- The fictional location of Sawle village features next when Demelza and Sam meet. A few scenes later, Morwenna is seen walking over the stepping stones whilst watched by Drake from the forge. The filming location is the charming fishing village of Penberth Cove. More information about Penberth Cove including a free map can be found here
- The scene where the miners are queuing for payment by the historic engine house on the clifftop is filmed at Botallack. More information about this spectacular clifftop location which is steeped in history can be found here.
- Holywell Bay, the truly iconic filming location for Poldark, features next as Demelza walks through a stream towards Drake and the children playing on a beach. This beautiful sandy beach at Holywell and the two magnificent rock stacks in the sea make this a popular location. For a free map showing Holywell Bay and how to get there click here.
The stream Demelza walks through at Holywell Bay
- We return again to the filming location of Penberth Cove with the scene where Demelza talks to a crowd of villagers on the slipway in the fictional village of Sawle. A few scenes later Morwenna is seen walking on the large stepping stones to cross the stream. More information about Penberth Cove including a free map can be found here
That’s it for Episode 5. For more information on the filming locations used in the previous Series click the following link – Series 4