Poldark Series 5, episode 6 aired last night (18th August 2019) on the BBC in the UK. This action-packed episode featured dramatic and emotional events in both London and Cornwall. Find out more below about the wonderful Cornish destinations shown in this week’s episode.
This blog post explains where the Cornwall filming locations can be found. If you are planning a trip to Cornwall soon then this will help you find these locations, and don’t worry if you have not seen this episode yet as there are no spoilers.
Here we go and with links to download our free maps showing the different locations…
- The dramatic cliffs of St Agnes Head and the vast expanse of golden sands on the shore below hit our screens as Demelza talks to the crowd of villagers. This truly breathtaking stretch of coastline can be accessed from Chapel Porth. To find out more about the coast path and beach please click here
St Agnes Head, used for the opening scene in this episode
- The aerial footage later in the episode shows the spectacular coastline at Porth Loe which is then immediately followed by an exterior shot of Nampara Cottage. To find out more about Porth Loe, Porthgwarra and the surrounding area click here
- As mentioned in previous blogs, the interior shots at Nampara Cottage were filmed at the Bottleyard Studio in Bristol. For more information about Bodmin Moor and this beautiful Cornish location near the building used as Nampara Cottage click here
- Viewers will no doubt be delighted with the beach scenes where Demelza, her children, Drake, Morwenna, Sam and Rosina are enjoying the delights of Holywell Bay. This truly stunning spot with its vast expanse of golden sand backed by grass tufted dunes and the iconic Gull Rocks standing proud in the Atlantic Ocean make this a popular filming location. For a free map showing Holywell Bay and how to get there click here.
- The fictional location of Sawle village features with the scene where Drake and Sam are discussing matters at the Blacksmiths before Tess arrives to talk to Sam. The filming location is the quaint fishing village of Penberth Cove. More information about Penberth Cove including a free map can be found here. A little while later we see Demelza leaving Penberth to follow Jacka Hoblyn along the South West Coast Path.
- A location we haven’t seen for a while then wows us with its beauty. The beautiful beach at Dollar Cove (next to Church Cove) is shown as Demelza looks down from the clifftop at the men below on the beach. This beach gets its name following a shipwreck in the 16th century. For a free map showing Dollar Cove and how to get there click here
Dollar Cove, used for the first time in this series
- The scene where Demelza talks to Drake and Zacky regarding the mine is filmed by the historic engine house on the clifftop at Botallack. More information about this spectacular clifftop location can be found here.
- Ross travels in the carriage across Bodmin Moor. This vast area of remote moorland offers stunning views and magnificent rock formations which are truly worth exploring. The two highest Cornish Peaks, Rough Tor and Brown Willy, both boast breathtaking views of the moors. For more more information and a free map of the area click here
- The next Cornish location in this week’s episode is the popular Penberth Cove mentioned above, which depicts the on-screen village of Sawle. Here we see Demelza, Drake and Prudie watch Tess, Sam and Rosina. More information about Penberth Cove including a free map can be found here
- The final dramatic scene of this episode, with Ross and Demelza on the clifftop, was filmed at Gwennap Head in West Cornwall. The sheer beauty of this headland adds to the drama of this end scene. This filming location is in between Porthgwarra and Porth Loe and can be accessed via the coast path. Download a free map of the area here
Bodmin Moor used as the backdrop for many of the horse-drawn carriage scenes
That’s it for Episode 6. For more information on the filming locations used in the previous Series click the following link – Series 4